Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Your past has a way of finding you.....

Saturday night we went to Ellsworth for the JoDee Messina Concert. I know, you've already read this in a previous post but I had to restate that in order for me to tell my story.

Anyway, the people I went with is a couple that I hang out with in town. "F" is originally from Columbia. He ended up in WI via a divorce and children. He is now engaged to "K" who is from a small town about 50 miles from where we live now. Giving this information will add to the freakiness of this story, please bear with me.

Ok, so I arrive at F & K's place to head down to Ellsworth for the JoDee Messina Concert. Shit! I keep bringing that up...sorry. F tells me that we need to make a stop on the way to a friends house to drop off some jerky. I would say beef jerky but it was venison jerky. Yes, we do live in WI and they do shoot deer for food, sorry if that offends anyone. It is quiet tasty though. Alright, back to the story.

We are driving to Ellsworth for the JoDee Messina concert when we turn down this one lane gravel driveway. On each side of the 1/4 mile long driveway are trees meticulously placed so they are spaced perfectly apart. At the end of the driveway was a house out of a fairytale. The yard was gorgeous with flowers beds and a garden. F & K are already out of the truck heading towards the house when they waive us in. The garage door opens and out some 4 dogs. 1 Yorkie, 1 Poodle, 1 Shepard and 1 Lab mix. Once in the garage we are greeted by numerous kittens obviously fresh from their mommy. We enter the house and I am oblivious to the owners as I am taken aback by the interior. We follow into the kitchen and stand around the island. F & K are talking to the female home owner and we are asked if we would like a beer from the gentleman standing there. We accept of course and continue gasping at the gorgeous home we are standing in. (we being myself and my sons girlfriend "A") Then the woman looks at A.

Homeowner, "I'm T"
A, "I'm A"
(now looking at me)
"I'm J"

T is now looking at me intently and says: "I recognize you from somewhere."

I am a bit shocked and now wracking my brain as she appears to be quite a bit older than me: "You do?"

T, "are you from SSP?" (my home town)

Me, now wondering if I should answer because I wasn't the best teenager, "Yes"

T, "Oh My God!, J, it's me TW."

With this, I do believe my jaw hit the floor and I nearly messed my pants. I am now standing in the home of a woman who's brother I dated for 5 1/2 years through high school and one year after. He was my first everything. It took me years to get over him, even when I was married. We have history that is both happy and incredibly painful.

We hug and I start asking a million questions about everyone else in the family but her brother "JW". All the while F is sitting there with this "WTF" look on his face. When we finally stop talking for two seconds, I turn to F and explain that I went out with JW for 5 1/2 years. To which he now tell me that JW is one of his best friends! Now I ask you....what are the chances? I haven't seen this woman in 25 years, give or take. And I haven't seen JW for about 17 years. I have a wooden box at home that holds that part of my life. I rarely visit it as it usually requires a box of kleenex and yet here it is, staring me right in the face. I was dumbfounded for about an hour, then the beer sank in my belly and we were feeling much better.

F is convinced that JW and I should meet up for a drink, I don't agree. His wife would have a fit and I'm not one to cause that kind of drama. Not if I can help it anyway!

On my way to a concert with someone that is from another country who now lives in a city away from where I grew up managed to bring my past in to my present. I guess it does haunt you.
***********
On another note, this little buddy was in my hanging flower pot when I let Lucy out this morning.
He just sat there looking at me as if to ask "where is my coffee?". Of course I had to run in and grab my camera.

Have a wonderful and safe 4th everyone. So far, I will be kidless so the dogs and I will be sitting home alone watching movies. ENJOY!

5 comments:

Ada [The Duchess] said...

J (lol couldn't resist), why not meet him? Is it because you're uncomfortable with the many years it took you to get over JW? I think that should be all that determines whether you meet up with him. His wife would be showing a very immature and silly character if she was to get jealous because you wanted to/went to meet with him. But wow, what a small world hun....

Yay I was born in US so I can safely say, HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!

Dianne said...

Wow! what a story.

at one point I thought the house was going to belong to JoDee Messina

enjoy your 4th. dogs and movies sounds good to me.

Robert said...

wow that is one incredible story nettie!!!! I hope you have even more fun times ahead with both the sister and your old bf Thank you so much for what you shared on my place. Always know if you ever want to email feel free anytime I hope you have a fantastic 4th and enjoy your family!!!

Newt said...

Holy Shit!

Tina said...

It's one of those stories that proves that theory that someone can trace a relationship to someone else through no less than six people. Very cool and as much as I'd like to say that the wife of JW should just get over the idea of you talking, I do commend you for respecting her relationship with this man you once loved. Proceed with caution yet have fun...

I had to laugh at the clarification of venison jerky. Sincerely I hear stories of Ellsworth a bit and every one of them so far seems to have some sort of jerky or hunting as a part of it - that's just life across the border I guess :)

Enjoy and relax during the 4th